Monday, August 9, 2010

State Fair 2010 - The Year of the Pigs!

This has been a super busy summer for us. Its so hard to believe its the second week of August! With this month's weekends booking up quickly, we decided this weekend would be our one and only chance at going to the state fair. On our way there, we had the startling revelation that we had never been to the state fair alone together. We've been together since 2003, yet we've always been with other people when we've gone. So we were both pretty excited about getting to spend some time with just us for the day!

We got a late start to the morning since Marc was loading out sheep. Farm work is never done! But the part that made our time getting there even slower was the parking! It was outrageous! I've never been there when the infield was closed because it was already at capacity!

Once we got in we had a great time! This year's theme is the year of the pigs-which I think is a great theme! Because of this, our ticket stub gave us $1 0ff a meal at the pork producers tent. Since we hadn't eaten lunch we decided we'd follow the theme and had an awesome pork burger meal! It was the best I'd had (of course I was starving....but still, I think I'd rate it high even if I hadn't been!) We then went out to see all the events. After we left the fair grounds, it dawned on us that we hadn't eaten one fried thing at the fair....I guess next year we'll have to double up to make up for this year! Ha ha!

A few of favorite parts of this year fair:
-Maddie mooing at the cows
-Getting to make a craft with Maddie
-Marc and I getting our Dole Whip
-Our usual double dip chocolate covered peanuts
-4 bags of free Kraft Homestyle Mac and Cheese

Enjoy the pictures!
Madelyn and Mommy - In front of mommy's favorite tractor! (John Deere 620)

Freebie of the year!

The FFA Pavilion had a "design a back pack" station. While Maddie can't yet trace a cow or sheep, I helped her trace her hands! Permanent marker was every where! I couldn't have been happier!

Maddie and Daddy stopped to eat a milk shake at the FFA Pavilion...The little bugs teeth are coming in, so ice cream was just what she needed! (I think Daddy was wanting some too!)

Again - in the FFA Pavilion...What can I say, that's where Marc and I fell in love!
They have a great play area set up!

Shoveling recycled tires!

She wasn't sure she wanted to try this....But once she saw daddy, she was happy!
I'm not sure who enjoyed the petting area better, me or Maddie. She loves making the animal sounds and touching them! I loved watching her. She's so wonderful!

She saw the cow and immediately started mooing!

She liked feeling the pig, but oink is still a little hard yet!

Every year we plan on getting her picture in front of the gift shop. Its a permanent fixture and always is decorated to match that year's fair theme!

Before we left, we had to get one more picture!
It was a fun day! She enjoyed shaking the balloon. In the picture she's holding her new toy Bob the cat.......Ha ha -bet you couldn't guess we found him at the FNR building!

The final version of her bag!
Front
Back
She colored it on her own! She did a great job if you ask me!

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment