Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pickled Peppers....Watch Out Peter Piper!

This weekend I went to our garden to take inventory (I'm super excited for my cherry tomatoes to come on). This year our peppers have done really well. We had a ton on our few pepper plants that are planted. I decided that I would try canning them.

I searched and searched for a recipe that I liked. A lot of them had garlic and onions with them. But I wanted something a little sweet and tangier than that. I ended up just using one part vinegar, 1/2 part sugar, 1/2 part water. (The recipe I found said 1 part sugar, but several reviews said that was too sweet.)

We chopped (I enlisted Marc to help! Thanks Marc!) and chopped. It seemed like we had a million peppers! Its funny because when we were done I was thinking, only 6 pints worth? But hey, that's a good start considering we'd never done this before!

Our delicious looking peppers ready to go!
Boiling the vinegar, sugar, and water.

Finished product!

My next pepper goal is to fry them like zucchini. I also might try making "poppers". Though they're not spicy, like their brother the jalapeno, cream cheese inside of any food is good to me!

Besides peppers, I plan on putting up pickles again this year. I hope my cucumber plants are fruitful. If not, Kroger's might be getting more business from me! :)

My family also puts up sweet corn and applesauce. Its always fun to do together and tastes so good during those winter months when we'd forgotten what summer was like!

I also want to try apple butter this year. I've found several recipes online, but am open for some suggestions! Any of you ever made apple butter? What process do you use to can apple butter?


More to come...

1 comment:

  1. Good job on the pepper canning. I have never thought of doing that. I always chop/dice my peppers, spread them on a (wax paper) covered cookie sheet and freeze them over night. I then throw them in a ziploc bag and put them back in the freezer to use when cooking. They are great in hamburger helpers, spaghetti sauce, casseroles, etc.

    I made apple butter for the first time last year, and it turned out really well. Email me for the recipe: lovnffa@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete