Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Favorite Disney Attractions: Magic Kingdom



With my family's next Disney adventure quickly approaching, Disney is a big topic of conversation in our household. One of the questions my hubby asked me last night was what I was looking forward to most on this trip. The answer came easy to me with no thought needed- Madelyn's reaction to the characters. Before kids, I would have said something like "seeing who gets soaked on Splash Mountain" or "seeing if we can get my dad to be 'that guy' at the Monster Inc Laugh Floor." However, after our last two trips with the Little Bug, hands down I'm most excited to see what she does when she sees her beloved mouse friend in person. Last year she saw Mickey from a distance and shouted his name, the year before she saw her buddy Winnie the Pooh and giggled and kicked and gave him plenty of "kisses". Though I love the attractions and shows, seeing her expression is the best.

Having said that, second to her expression are the attractions that I personally love. With Disney on my mind almost 24-7 (its probably closer to 20-7 because I do have to squeeze some work in there somewhere), I'd like to review my favorites park by park. Starting with - what else?!- the Magic Kingdom........ (I'll try to limit myself to 10....Okay-it ended up being 11.....)

My Favorite Attractions: Magic Kingdom
As you enter the Magic Kingdom, you can't help but smile. Main Street is one of the most universal images of happiness that ever existed. When someone talks about Disney, Main Street with Cinderella's Castle is the first thing that pops into the minds of the listening audience. With the sounds of the street performers, the smells from the confectionery, and the rumbles from the Walt Disney World Railroad, Main Street is the essence of Walt Disney! Can't you just picture it now?

Now, picture the attractions that capture my most valued memories (just to name a few)...
  1. Wheelchair Accessible Jungle Cruise BoatThe Jungle Cruise- One of my top MUST DOs at Disney World. Its an attraction for the whole family. What I love most about it is, while most of the jokes are used over and over, having a different cast member each time is what makes it fun! The "tour guides" are
  2. typically very funny people who always make hilarious remarks about the ride, their job, and the passengers themselves. 
  3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Yo-ho, yo-ho, a pirates life for me! Who isn't fascinated by the life of a pirate?! This ride is perfect for my family. It has an awesome story line and just enough small drops to make you giggle - even as an adult. The detail that it took to create this ride never ceases to amaze me. The magic boats transports you into a world filled with Jack Sparrow's adventures! And even before the hit movie came along, my family LOVED to ride Pirates. That is one of the rides that we come back to over and over again during the same trip!
  4. Splash Mountain: How can you not love a little rabbit who leaves home seeking adventure?! This entire attraction keeps your attention and makes you fall in love with this ride. Even if it means at the end you might get a little wet! I totally catch myself humming the "Laughing Place" song whenever I'm in a good mood. This is definitely a favorite of not just mine, but my entire family!!!
  5. Haunted Mansion: Everyone loves a good ghost story, but not every one wants to be creeped out and afraid to sleep without lights on. I'm definitely the latter here. Thankfully the 'Doom Buggies' that transport you through this haunted attraction are very family and very chicken friendly. I absolutely love how much detail went into making this! The floating candle sticks, the dueling and dancing ghosts, the creepy attic, not to even start on the scene at the graveyard! And who doesn't love the "Grim Grinning Ghosts" song? If you haven't heard it, google it and it will have you tapping your toes and wishing you were at the Haunted Mansion right then! Love it!
  6. Hall of Presidents: When I was younger, this was probably not at the top of my list, unlike my two history-loving sisters. But now, as an adult - I LOVE IT. Not only is it nice to have a comfy chair in air conditioning to rest your feet (because that is a plus), but its a great reminder of all that our country has been through to get to where it is today. I always - ALWAYS- end up with goosebumps. It really brings the story of America to life. Seeing this show reminds me to say a prayer for the blessings God has given me, including letting me call this great nation that we live in home!
  7. Its a Small World: Roll your eyes if you want...It is one of my favorites because of what it represents to me. It's 100% Disney. Small World is a classic that can't be ignored. I also have the best memories of the trip to the Kingdom with my niece. If you could see the way a child's face lights up when seeing the different colors, sounds, and scenes, it will make your heart melt...If not, get off my blog, because you're just down right weird!
  8. Mickey's PhilharMagic: Hands down the best 3D show at Disney. I don't say that lightly. There are several good ones that will make you fall in love with the Mouse's stomping grounds. However, this one is my favorite for all the music. No one, and I truly mean NO ONE, does music like Disney. They have got it down. And combining all the classics into one production -oh my! And its perfect for any age! That is definitely a show that I'll stand in line for over and over again.
  9. Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: I know, you're wondering - how old are you again? Well first off, you drop your age at the gates when you walk into the parks. Second, it goes back to the Disney classics. You have to love Winnie the Pooh. I've loved him for as long as I can remember. And its wonderful now to see my daughter fall in love the with the cuddly little cubby all stuffed with fluff! Its a great attraction, made for all ages to enjoy.
  10. Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin: This is one of those attractions that doesn't get enough attention. I've never had to stand in line for this ride. Its a continually moving ride, which means flow of traffic is always moving. I think this ride made it to my favorites list on my honeymoon, when my new, sweet, "whatever you want honey", husband tried to crush me at every turn. He was shooting lasers like it was his last mission in life to beat my score. We laughed so hard on that ride that each time we get back on it brings up that happy memory and we laugh again!
  11. Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor: Hilarious. That's all there is to it. Each time you go to the Comedy Floor, it changes. Its an animated studio that's tailored to each audience. They often find a dad in the audience to pick on, asks a couple kids some questions, and make everyone scream when they hear the world "human". Its funny and always has my family laughing! A MUST SEE when going to the Kingdom.
  12. Carousel of Progress: This is another Disney Classic. The attraction was first featured at the Worlds Fair. Walt had big plans for the future and it shows as the times change before your eyes. It makes me appreciate the technologies I have, but it also peaks my appetite to learn some more history of how my grandparents and great grandparents did things before our modern conveniences. Besides, I love the song that they sing through out the show! What an upbeat and optimistic song!!!


More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment